Snapper changes to start September 1
Changes to rules for catching snapper in Queensland will come into force on September 1, Fisheries Minister Craig Wallace said today.
From September 1, recreational bag limits on snapper will be reduced from five to four.
This move means the sustainability of the species can be protected with no future bans on catching snapper in Queensland.
“As a keen angler myself, I personally oversaw the consultation process to ensure community views were heard at the highest levels of government before these changes were made,” Mr Wallace said.
“In close consultation with fishers we have come up with sensible changes that protect some of the most popular commercial and recreational fish species in Queensland,” he said.
Mr Wallace said main changes to the snapper fishery included:
·No further bans on snapper fishing. A six-week ban earlier this year on catching snapper would not be repeated.
·Reducing the recreational bag limit for snapper from five to four, with a maximum of one fish with a total length over 70cm allowed. The minimum size limit for snapper will remain at 35cm. This will apply to all recreational anglers, including fishing from charter boats;
·There is no proposed change for the size and bag limits for pearl perch and teraglin;
·An online monitoring program will be introduced for recreational fishers to log snapper catch data, to ensure up-to-date and accurate information is available for future reviews. The program will be launched later this year;
·There also will be an education program to reduce snapper deaths through incorrect catch and release;
·Another review of fisheries management, including an updated snapper assessment, will be held in 2014.